What I've Been Watching: March 17-March 19

Only three days since the last "What I've Been Watching" and I've watched four new titles that I'm gonna let you know about. It's a cloudy day where I am, and I'm jotting this all down before I escape my house to take my dog for a walk. Because that, and cinema, are the only things keeping me sane at the moment.


POLYESTER (1981), one of the infamous collaborations between John Waters and Divine in the late 20th century, is a delightful (and not too offensive) satirization of Douglas Sirk-era suburban melodramas. At 86 minutes, it's a breeze. And it's pretty great. Rent on Amazon Video for $2.99.


DANCER IN THE DARK (2000) is Lars von Trier's only musical film and stars Bjork in one of her only film roles (the other being the exceptional The Juniper Tree). Like other von Trier works, it follows a naive person navigating a dangerous environment. This one is no less depressing than some of his other work, but it's startingly moving. Stream on Vudu, or rent on Amazon Video for $2.99.


MONSIEUR HULOT'S HOLIDAY (1953), a gentle French comedy from renowned master Jacques Tati, may not be the most compelling watch for your quarantine time. It boasts a few memorable set pieces but left the slightest impression on yours truly. Stream on the Criterion Channel or Kanopy, or rent on Amazon Video for $3.99.


STOKER (2013), a more stylish but less-than-good loose remake of the minor Hitchcock film Shadow of a Doubt, it's worth watching alone for Mia Wasikowski's performance and for the purpose of chronicling brilliant filmmaker Park Chan-wook's career. Rent on Amazon Video for $3.99.

Comments

Popular Posts